Sunday, September 9, 2012

MATC ITNET-157-502

I'm currently enrolled in the ITNET-157-502 (86199) Emerging Tech (VMware VCP) at MATC (Milwaukee Area Technical College) http://www.matc.edu

Week 1 homework is to read Chapter 1 of Scott Lowe's book 'Mastering VMware vSphere 5'.  In order to deepen my understanding, I thought I'd create an outline. And what better place to store notes than in an online blog accessible from all my devices?  Hopefully someone else may find these notes interesting as well.

Chapter 1 is an introduction to VMware vSphere 5.  The vSphere product suite is a collection of products that provide virtualization.  Scott identifies 15 main products/functions.
  1. ESXi
  2. VMware vCenter Server
  3. vSphere Update Manager
  4. VMware vSphere Client and vSphere Web Client
  5. VMware vShield Zones
  6. VMware vCenter Orchestrator
  7. vSphere Virtual Symmetric Multi-Processing
  8. vSphere vMotion and Storage vMotion
  9. vSphere Distributed Resource Schedule
  10. vSphere Storage DRS
  11. Storage I/O Control and Network I/O Control
  12. Profile-Driven Storage
  13. vSphere High Availability
  14. vSphere Fault Tolerance
  15. vSphere Storage APIs for Data Protection and VMware Data Recovery
In the next few posts, I'll go deeper into these items.

No comments:

Post a Comment